• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow

logojoci2

Joomla Slide Menu by DART Creations
EspañolFrançaisEnglish
International Week of Young Workers 2015: No Worker Without Just Work! PDF Print E-mail

Standing Up Against Exploitation, Oppression and Exclusion


altFrom 24th – 30 April 2015, the International Young Christian Workers (IYCW) will celebrate the International Week of Young Workers (IWYW) under the theme: “No Worker without Just Work”. In doing so, the IYCW wants to emphasize the struggles of young workers against the oppression they face in their day-to-day life, which is rooted in the class system that has always utilized it as a way to maintain the domination of the wealthiest and most powerful 1% of the population over the remaining 99%.

 

This week emerged out of the struggles of the working class youth who organized themselves as an independent force in order to be trained to stand up against all forms of exploitation, oppression and exclusion.

 

“The National Week of Young Workers started in 1970 and became international in 1985 upon decision of the world council held in Madrid, Spain in 1984.” Since then the IYCW has been choosing a theme on young people's reality every year and through countless numbers of activities, solutions related to the topic are looked for and debated.

 

Highlighting the hidden contradictions


It is important of course to highlight the often hidden contradictions faced by young workers. Today, just like in the past, young workers in many diverse realities are facing the most savage assaults on their living and working standards.

 

These hidden contradictions experienced by young workers are found in the austerity programs introduced in the European countries, threatening to destroy thousands of jobs intended for the young workers and cutting public services.

 

They are found in the high levels of youth unemployment, when young workers are desperately looking for a way to enter job markets, when an increasing number of young workers have to give in to the employers’ conditions. Their contracts, salaries, working hours, health, social protection, leave rights, family, dismissals, free time, holidays, training are all determined by the choice of the employers.

 

Joining Forces to Reach Common Objectives


The challenges faced by today’s young workers are crystal clear but we are saying we cannot live in an unsustainable and unjust world while knowing that the basic human needs of all people can be satisfied. The YCW believes that the liberation of the people, and consequently of young workers, is only possible through the organization of those who are oppressed and marginalized.

 

Therefore, we see the International Week of Young Workers as an opportunity to encourage young people to set up structures or communities which allow them to join forces to reach common objectives, to review the action, to collect testimonies of young workers’ actions, to organize a round table discussion on the theme “No workers without Just Work” and on the ILO theme “Transition from informal to formal work”, to carry out lobby and advocacy activities to put forward our demands to the ILO and to local governments, and to organize mass action  and discover together the deepest meaning of their lives.

 

Sharing Ideas, Dreams and Information


The YCW has strategically chosen the International Week of Young Workers to begin the preparation process and “Internal launching” of the International Council of the IYCW scheduled to be held in 2016 in Germany. The IYCW International Council is one of the most important political gatherings, not only with regards to numbers, but also with regards to the political and ideological decisions made to move forward.

 

We want to promote the process of sharing ideas, dreams, testimonies, aspirations and information about the world of work today, the capitalist system, joblessness, migrations, gender, education, including by developing better understanding of the main economic, social, political, technological, spiritual and cultural pillars that are shaping and determining the nature of the working-class youth and their movement. 

 

“No Worker without Just Work” is not only a theme but it is what we really believe, what we campaign for, what we stand for. We therefore urge all young workers around the world to use the International week celebrations from 24th to 30th April 2015 to display their courage and solidarity and to raise their voices for a better and more human world.

 
TwitterFacebook

All Rights Reserved - 2011 - JOCI-IYCW